Tuesday 2 February 2010

Feed me...

Ahh, another grey Tuesday morning... must be time for more of the Things!
I had heard of RSS Feeds, but was not sure what to do with them, so once again had to be forced to learn... The instructions on the 23 Things blog are excellent; very simple to follow and broken down into a step-by-step sequence that makes it almost impossible to get wrong. I must admit, though, I have subscribed to several feeds from the BBC website (mostly concerning sport) as those were fairly easy to set up!
Once I get the hang of this I will try to subscribe to a few participants' blogs (just so they get paranoid...) too.
I have had the added complication of this week of switching my browser from the deplorable IE6 to the much nicer Mozilla Firefox, which has a handy function of remembering who I am and saving tabs when I close the page so that I can find all my stuff again straight away. Unfortunately something went wrong with this over the weekend so I had to load all my bookmarks again, but that was fairly straightforward thanks to XMarks, which is a facility for migrating bookmarks from other browsers. I still need to work out how to get iGoogle back as my homepage, but as I am actually working most of the time this has not been a priority! Still, for the purpose of Thing 5, the fact that the browser already had my details meant I only had to sign into Google Reader, rather than re-typing everything. Bonus!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got your bookmarks back without too much trouble. Technology does like to give us a fright now and then.

    ReplyDelete